by John B
FASHIONABLE WEDDING AT PETTIGO
On Wednesday, October 2nd, (1902) a marriage was
solemnized in Templecarne Parish Church, between William Lambert
Sladen, Esq., son of Colonel and Lady Sladen of Ripple Court,
Kent and Miss Henrietta Violet Barton, daughter of Charles R.
Barton, Esq., D. L. of the Waterfoot, Pettigo.
The ceremony was fixed for 11 a.m. before which time the
church was well filled with parishoners. The Pettigo and Letter
bands played with great effect outside the church while awaiting
the arrival of the bride, who, attired in white satin and a
beautiful lace veil, with a wreath of orange blossoms was led to
the altar by her father.
Only relations wore invited as guests owing to the fact that
the bride’s family are in mourning. The bridesmaids wore
dresses of cream Fingal tweed relieved by violets, which made a
most pleasing and effective combination of colour. The ceremony
in the church was performed by the Rev. Canon Ovenden, D.D.,
cousin of the bride and the Rev. R. C. Lapham, rector of the
parish. On leaving the church, the path to the gate was lined by
members of the Pettigo and Letter bands, who gave an ovation to
the bride and bridegroom as they entered their carriage. They
also played at the Waterfoot during the day.
At 3 p.m., Mr. and Mrs. Lambert Sladen left en route for
Wales where they intend to pass the honeymoon. The wedding
presents were very numerous and beautiful.
Transcribed from Impartial Reporter and Farmer’s Journal
Oct 9th 1902 by John B