Lowe's Directory 1880
A market town on the Great Northern Railway, in the Parish of Aughalurcher, Barony of Magherastephena; it lies 3 miles south by east of Maguiresbridge, 5¼ north north-west of
Newtownbutler, and 9 south-east of
Enniskillen. Very great improvements have been made in recent years by its noble Proprietor, the Earl of Erne, K.P., Custos Rotulorum of the county. Amongst the principal public buildings are - the Townhall, Public Dining Rooms, two good Hotels, first-class Corn, Butter, Pork and Flax markets; a very handsome Branch of the Ulster Bank, a commodious Episcopalian Church, and a Methodist Preaching-House.
General Market Day: Saturday
Market for the sale of Flax, port and Fowel: Wednesday
Flax opens at 9.00 a.m.
Pork opens at half past 10 o'clock.
Clerk of Markets: Mr W. Graham
Petty Sessions - fortnightly, except when that day happens on a Fair day, in such case there is an interval of three weeks.
Clerk of Petty Sessions: Mr S. M. Huggard
Delivery of Letters - 7 a.m. & 2 p.m.
Postmaster - Mr Thos. Robinson
Arrival of Up Tains to Dublin, Greenore etc
(Passenger) - 6.40 a.m. 10.4 a.m. 1.35 p.m. and 4.55 p.m.
Down Trains - 10.45 a.m. 12.50 p.m. and 6.30 p.m.
These are the family names of traders in Lisnaskea.
Adams, Annon, Arnold, Beatty, Berry, Boland, Bryson, Cassidy, Clarke, Dunn, Fair, Faussett, Forster, Graham, Hall, Hamilton, Hogan, Huggard, Irwin, Jephson, Ledger, Liddle, Little, M Clintock, Magovern, Maguire, Masterson, M'Clintock, M'Manus, M'Nulty, Noble, Phair, Rennick, Richardson, Robinson, Sandle, Swann, Thompson, Ward, Wherry, Whitley, Whittaker, Williss, Wilson
To view any of these records you will need to register as a
Fermanagh Friend by subcribing to the Fermanagh Gold Mailing
List. More details HERE