SCHOOLS IN ENNISKILLEN
Lowe's Directory 1880
PORTORA ROYAL SCHOOL
This School, together with similar institutions in the Counties of Tyrone, Armagh and Donegal, were founded in the reign of King James I., in connection with the Settlement of Ulster. The School is beautifuly and healthfully situated on the brow of a hill, overlooking Lough Erne, and commanding a most magnificent view of the picturesque scenery which, wherever you turn, meets the eye. It is one of the most richly endowed of all our Irish public schools, and has also surpassed them all in collegiate and academic distinctions.
There are Twenty three Exhibitions attached to the School, viz, five of £25, and five of £15, teneabe by Boys in the School, and five of £40, and five of £30, also three of £7, teneable by pupils of the School who have entered Trinity College, Dublin. There are also eight prizes, viz., four of £10, and four of £5, offered each year for proficiency in English subjects; also "The Frederick Steel Memorial Prize" of £12 for Latin and Greek Composition.
Headmaster - Rev. William Steel, D.D.
THE MODEL SCHOOL, ENNISKILLEN
Next to Portora Royal School, the most important educational establishment in the town, is the District Model School in which nearly three hundred children receive the benefit of a thoroughly sound English, mathematical and scientific education. The building is of brick on a limestone basement, and, though not pretending to much architectural beauty, is internally fitted up with all appliances, in the shape of maps, diagrams and apparatus, to satisfy every modern educational want.
The institution consists of three departments: Boys', Girls', and Infants', and is conducted strictly in accordance with the principles of Irish national education, namely, to afford combined literary and moral, and separate religious instruction to children of all persuasions, and so that no attempt shall be made to interfere with the peculiar religious tenets of any description of Christian Master. Mr. Charles Morris, two assistants, Messrs. More and Stokes, eight resident pupil Teachers, and two paid monitors. The Girls' school is conducted by Miss Greaves, Head Mistress, Miss Maher, assistant, and five monitresses. The principal of the Infants' department is Miss Tully, who is assisted by Miss Harpur, and three monitresses. It will be thus seen that there is a very large staff of teachers. The school is not only an educational, but also a training institution, as many as eighty young teachers having been education for their profession, since the opening of the establishment in 1867.
During the winter months, scientific lectures in connection with the Department of Science and Art, are delivered by the Head Master.
The pupils are annually examined about Christmas by the Head Inspector of the province, James Morrell, Esq., and by the District Inspector and Manager of the Schools, James J. Hynes, Esq.
THE OTHER SCHOOLS
Are the Christian Brothers', East Bridge Street; the Erasmus Smyth's Schools,
Forthill; and the National Schools in Abbey and Mary Street; the Misses Bayly's excellent Private School in Darling Street, and a similar school kept by the Miss Dwyers in the Manse, Wesley Street.