FAMILIES OF AGHAVEA PARISH
My husband's Grt Uncle Samuel Alexander Armstrong asked (in
mid 1960's) a researcher in NI to trace his Armstrong Family and
the notes I posted to the mailing lists were the result of that
research. Sam had no children and his nephew was executor
of his will. Luckily my mother in law remembered the
research and told me about it. I contacted the nephew and
after much pleading he finally found the research notes and
Our branch are descended from James
ARMSTRONG bc 1789
Brookeborough Ferm. He was the coroner for Brookeborough
pre 1848 to 1864ish. m Jane MOORE 24 April 1823 Aghavea, Ferm.
Their son Montgomery Armstrong married Agnes McElwee at
Christ Church par Templemore Londonderry in Jan 8 1862.
They went to Canada and he was killed in a riding accident.
Agnes and their son James Alexander bc 1870 came back to NI and
were supported by Montgomery's brother Moses b 1834
OUTLINE OF OUR TREE
- William bc 1720 dc 1785 m Susan?
- John bc 1758 d 1811 m Susan?
- James bc 1789 d 1865 m (1823) Jane Moore of Aghavea b 1798
- Montgomery bc 1835 m (1862) Agnes McElwee 8 Jan 1862
- James Alexander bc 1870 Canada m Sarah Hutchinson 1890 in
- James Montgomery b 1891 Derry NI m Jeannie GRIBBEN b 1892
Scotland (Gribbens were from Broughshane NI)
- Sarah Elizabeth Armstrong b 1913 Belfast NI m Christian
Nielsen 1932 Bendigo Vic Aus.
ESTATE LEASE RECORDS
Many of the records in the database include
information which gives detail about family members. Jen gives
this supporting information on reading the information:
"The estate records of Lord Brookeborough whose
family owned most of the land in and near Brookeborough in the
18th and 19th centuries were searched and extracts made of
leases mentioning ARMSTRONGS.
This material proved to be of considerable help in
establishing the history of the family prior to James, the
Coroner, as many of the leases noted were taken out for a term
of three lives. This
system of leasing was of benefit to the lessee, who on payment
of a small fine was permitted to insert a new 'life' in his
therefore, held his land at the original rent for so long as the
'lives' or renewed 'lives' were in being.
The ages mentioned in connection with 'lives' were
approximate and those so named were children of the lessee, or
of those of his relatives or neighbours."
to take one or two of my transcriptions and interpret it:-
Name of place where lease was taken out - AGHAVOORY
Name of Lessee - JOHN ARMSTRONG.
Date Lease was taken out - 1st May, 1787. John ARMSTRONG's age at time of taking out lease was
35, so an approximate date of birth could be deduced as 1752. John Armstrong had only one son in 1787 his name was James
ARMSTRONG and he was aged 8 so his approximate date of birth
could be deduced as 1779.
- Name of place where lease was taken out - Aghnacloy.
Names of Lessees, John & William Armstrong.
Date Lease was taken out - 1st May 1774.
above John Armstrong had two sons (being the first and second
born) Thomas, aged 14 (which would make approx. year of birth
1760) and George, aged 12 (approx year of birth 1762).
The above William Armstrong's eldest son was
named Thomas, he was aged 11 (which would make his year of birth
RECORDS IN THE DATABASE
There are over
700 records in the database with 59 unique surnames (the
majority of names are Armstrong):
Attwell, Beatty, Betty, Bogg, Brooke, Burnside, Carrothers,
Cowan, Darcy, Delap, Dixon, Dundas, Elliott, Fitzpatrick,
Foster, Fowler, Frazier, Glen, Grayden, Graydon, Gregston, Grey,
Hall, Harpur, Henderson, Hogg, Irvine, Irwin, Johnston, Kelso,
Kettyle, Larken, Leslie, Little, Lyttle, Macartney, Mayne,
McCaldin, McDowell, Mervyn, Mitchell, Montgomery, Moore, Nixon,
Noble, Patten, Piper, Reed, Robinson, Ryans, Simms, Summers,
Watt, Wheatley, Whitely, Willis, Wilson
The information submitted by Jenny has been entered into the
database and includes information from these sources:
- Baptisms Aghavea Parish Church 1816-1819
- Baptisms Aghavea, 1827-1838 (Brookeborough)
- Marriages Aghavea 1815-1858
- Burials Aghavea 1815-1879
- Baptisms Lisnaskea Parish Registers 1814-1819
- Marriages Lisnaskea 1835-1840
- Burials Rossory Parish Registers 1850-1876
- Baptisms Rossory 1814-1815
- Brookeborough Estate Lease Records 1735-1818
- Brookeborough Estate Large Lease Book
- Brookeborough Estate List of Tenants 1847-1852
- Brookeborough Estate List of "English Tenants"
- Brookeborough Estate Rental 1847-1851
- Brookeborough Estate Registry of Leases est. 1876
- Lisnaskea Union Valuation Book 1862
- Poll Book, 1747-1767, 1788, 1796-1801
- Index to Clogher Marriage Licence Bonds
- Index to Clogher Wills up to 1858
- Index to N. Ireland Prerogative Wills 1811-1858
- Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1858-1880
Click image to view