Tubrid Gaveyard is the principal burial ground of
Drumkeeran Parish which was carved out of the ancient parish of Magheraculmoney. The
church was built here in 1774 at the expense of the Vaughan Charitable Charter School
while Rev St. George was minister of the united Church of Ireland parishes of
Magheraculmoney and Drumkeeran. In 1824 the church was enlarged at the expense of the
parish and is now capable of holding 300 worshippers. Previously people from this area
would have buried in Ardess Graveyard the ancient centre of Magheraculmoney Parish.
TUBRID CHURCH OF IRELAND *
It is described by
Alistair Rowan in his book "The Buildings of North West Ulster in 1979 as, "a
hall and tower type church." He goes on to say it is characteristically tall and thin
in three stages with Irish battlements on the top. Between 1857 and 1859 it was enlarged
further by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to almost double its previous size using the
design of Alexander Hardy their surveyor. Hardy added a north-south transept which cut
across the old nave. The whole roof was rebuilt at this time. A workman fell from the roof
and was killed during these repairs.
Apart from the building
of an Orange Hall here this locality failed to develop beyond the usual triumverate of
school, church and hall. It is unlikely that a church would ever have been built here but
for the application of Vaughan Charity money to this purpose.