Colaghty Church was built
in 1846 but church records begin in 1837. Previously services were held in Lack old
school near the former creamery at the edge of the village on the old road to Ederney.
It is unclear why this
church was not erected in Lack the chief local centre of population despite the fact that
the rectory was built there. Unlike the vicinity of many churches the local area has never
developed as a centre of education, entertainment or had a shop. Its only immediate public
building had been a B Special training hut.
The church contains the
following plaques and inscriptions.
Brass on wall.
This plaque has been erected by the members of Glassmullagh LOL 446 in memory of their
esteemed bro T. J. (Jim) Oldman killed by the IRA 3rd April 1987.
"Forever with the Lord."
Brass on wall.
In proud memory of Capt. T. Jim Oldman,
4th (Co. Fermanagh) Btl Ulster Defence Regiment who died in ambush at Ederney on Friday
3rd April 1987 aged 39 years. This memorial was placed here by his comrades in 'D' Coy.
"He that believes in the sun hath everlasting life."
White marble on
Erected by the members of Lack and Colaghty
Parish Church in loving memory of Matthew Best J.P. secretary and
treasurer from 1928 - 1968 and Principal of Lack Primary School 1928 - 1955.
Plaque on pulpit
To the glory of God and in memory of Isobella C. Magovern organist in
this church from 1903 to 1920. This pulpit, reredos panneling and communion rail was
presented by her husband and son John and his family. Mass, U.S.A.
Plaque on porch
In loving memory of Elizabeth, Margaret and Crozier Ginn. Presented by
their sons Crozier, John and William.
Brass plaque in
This porch has been panelled and furnished
by Jack Weir, Knockroe in loving memory of his parents Robert and Elizabeth Weir.
Presented by George Evans,
Glenarn, in loving memory of his parents and grandparents.
Presented by Laurence Hall,
Enniskillen, in loving memory of his father and mother.
In loving memory of Lily
and Thomas Johnston, Drumcose. Presented by their son and daughters.